Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Oddities on a birthday...

You know there are just some things that just can not be made up, and I have two such "things" to share with you that occurred today on my birthday.

1) Free coffee w/ a serenade, anyone?

So I went into a coffee shop this afternoon that offers free coffee on one's birthday. There were two fellas working the counter. I was in a particularly chipper mood... (Who wouldn't be with free coffee just moments away?!) I had a copy of an email that I was supposed to submit with my driver's license, but the guy at the register (Let's call him "Fellow 1") waved the viewing of said driver's license.(Wasn't that gentleman like of him?) Anyway, the fun began. The guy making the coffee (Let's call him "Fellow 2") said, "What are you 12, 14?" Then Fellow 1 said, "No, 24." All I could think was "Are they serious?".... chuckling and further thinking "Do I have to play along with this? I just want coffee." "Yeah, right," I laughed. Then Fellow 1 said, "Okay, I guess 30." (I thought, "Are we really going there?!") "Hum, no," I said. Fellow 2, "Okay 33." (Further thought: "Okay, so we really are going there.") At this point, I stopped talking and shook my head with a chuckle mixed in for "fun."

Fellow 1,"Well.... you can't be over 35."

My response, "Hum, yes I can."

"36?"

"Higher."

"37?"

"Higher."

"Tell me you are not 40."

(Hum... no response. None.)

"You are not 40!"

"Hum... yeah, I am... (Thought: Now where is my coffee?!)"

Fellow 2 at this point chimes in, "Now I want to see your driver's license!"

(Thought: "Hum, nope... you missed your chance at the driver's license... and what exactly is 40 supposed to look like??")

Again, Fellow 2,"I am a decent baritone....I'm singing 'Happy Birthday' to you!"

(Thought: "Oh my word..surely he is not...")

Fellow 2: "1, 2, 3.... Happy birthday to you.."

Fellow 1, "Cha, cha, cha." (No, I am not kidding....Fellow 1 actually chimed in on the fun!)

Fellow 2, "Happy birthday to you..."

Fellow 1, "Cha, cha, cha."

Fellow 2, "Happy birthday to yoooooouuuuuu, happy birthday to yoooouuuuu."

Customer walking by, "It's her birthday?"

(Thought: "Well, yeah....")

For the record I have never been publicly serenaded anywhere, by anyone, for any reason ..... And it totally made my birthday! Not sure if that makes me a pitiful person or not... but I left with one more big smile... and a supper fabulous cup of joe! Thanks, Fellow 1 and Fellow 2 .... I don't know if you were just really egging it on and are just really good actors... or if you were truly stunned at the revelation of my age...... either way you truly made me feel 12... no, 14... no, 24 .... Let's stick with the 24... ;o)

2) Chicken feet.

Now let me first say I was highly tempted to take a picture and include it here for your viewing pleasure, but honestly to do so would insure that you would never... and I mean never revisit me here again .... Ever. So as to not risk your departure, you will just have to use your imagination!

After walking out of the coffee shop, I headed to a friend's house for an hour of fun (It is always fun at her house... always!) and fellowship. Now, my dear friend is fascinating through and through. Every time I leave her presence I can honestly say I have either heard or experienced something totally new to me.

Today, it was chicken feet. Chicken feet in a pot of stew.

I really thought she was joking, until she pulled one of those babies up out of the broth (simmering away in a pot for a meal the following day), and I just about lost it. Cut off at the ankle with toenails still attached...there it was.

What in the world is that all about?! Honestly.

Well, I learned chicken feet properties (and yes, I guess there really are "chicken feet properties") are actually thought to be medicinal for the calming of one's intestines as well as releasing a desirable ingredient into the broth that otherwise would not be there. I have since pulled this statement up from a cooking website: "The rich gelatin of the feet create a rich and nutritious stock." But at that moment this afternoon in her home, shocked and stunned, I asked, "Are you serious?" "Oh yeah," she said, "The Asians have been doing it for centuries."

Who would have thought it? Anyone? Anyone at all?
Not I... that I know with absolute certainty!

And of course, my experience would not be complete until she sealed three frozen chicken feet in a baggie for me to take home. Can't wait to pull those babies out and toss them into a stew! Not totally sure I will ever actually have the nerve to use them! If I ever do, the feet are supposed to be removed before serving the meal, but just for shock value, I may just have to leave them in and serve them up! .... Just kidding! ... (sort of.... ;o)).

(PS: I love you, my dear friend, for all that you are and all that you add to my life! I always learn something new when I visit!)

And thus closed my 40th year...
"Happy birthday to meeeeeeeeeeeeee!" Weeeeeeeeee!
Sure was memorable in ways I could never have imagined!
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment