Saturday, November 20, 2010

Isaiah 41:10

This morning I read something I have never read before. Well, I need to rephrase that. I have read the verse more than a hundred times in my lifetime and memorized it, but not the translation I read this morning.

Here's how I memorized it:

Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you,
for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.


Now here is how it is in the Amplified:

Fear not [there is nothing to fear], for I am with you;
do not look around you in terror and be dismayed,
for I am your God.
I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties,
yes, I will help you;
yes, I will hold you up and retain you
with My [victorious] right hand of rightness and justice.


The phrase "I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties" really stood out to me this morning. If you have read my book, I speak about the necessity to develop deep roots --- holding power -- so that during storms we stand strong and tall... immovable in Him. How special it is that as we rest and stay calm in God through the storms of life, HE strengthens and hardens us...upholds us and retains us!

Have you ever seen a toddler with say a splinter or a cut? They bounce all over the place while screaming their heads off. While attempting to help them, parents are often heard saying, "You need to stay still!" I don't know about you, but I don't want to be a toddler in God's family!

God's goal is to mature us past the "bouncing all over the place, screaming our heads off" place to the place of calmness, knowing He will help. As I often say, God sends the storms and controls the storms, so as to mature us - ever calling us to grow stronger and deeper in Him. We can't grow big and strong with deep roots without passing through the storm-trials of life. Let's consciously pass through them calmly, dedicated to growth!

How I hope you too find a depth in this verse perhaps you have never seen before. Perhaps it is a different phrase than the one that stood out to me. Whatever part stands out to you, meditate on it today.... and be grateful for who He is in our lives! Our ever present, wondrous God!

Time to hit the trail to exercise this morning!

Have a most blessed weekend, my siblings!
Deborah

1 comment: