Thursday, November 29, 2012

May I Suggest....

This came a few days ago in the mail:



It always stirs a level of extra excitement in our family.

Years ago, when my children were much younger, World Vision began sending out this gift catalog in November. I recall the first time I gathered my young ones together and explained what it was.

After explaining to them the needs around the world, I asked them to take it, one at a time, to their bedroom and pray as they looked through it to see what God would have us give as a family.  It was a part of their training in hearing Him.

From the time they were tiny,  I have operated with a strong belief they possess the ability to clearly hear God for themselves..... and  have given them numerous opportunities throughout their childhood to exercise said belief.  The precious thing to me is that they never doubted their ability.

With childlike faith, they seized the catalog - I do mean seized, as in "with great enthusiasm" -- and ran upstairs to seek His voice on what we were to give.  After having individual time with the catalog in the their rooms, we joined back together to reveal what each of them heard.  I can't recall a time where their hearing didn't mesh -- perhaps there was -- but I don't recall it.  I do recall, year after year, smiling with God as their eyes lit up and they boldly proclaimed as they pointed to something in the catalog, "This..this is it!" 

Our family was talking  together the other night when this year's catalog came in the mail. We were reminiscing about all the years we have joined together to discern God's heart for our family with regard to the catalog.  I asked them, "Do you recall what we gave the very first year?"   Without a moment of hesitation, they correctly recalled what we had given.  Such experiences leave a permanent positive mark in the souls of our children when we take the time to sow the seed.

In addition to locally looking for opportunities to pour out God's love this season, I encourage you - especially if you have children --  to consider this exercise for your own family as a means to internationally give.  You and your children may not can go to Africa, China, or elsewhere,  but looking through the catalog or the website catalog will give each of you a very clear picture of the needs of others. It is so easy to give, and not only will it benefit the receiver(s), it will plant permanent seeds of God's character into the lives of your children.

Blessings to you this blessed Christmas season!
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment