Wednesday, June 19, 2013

To Love Is To....

I just returned from the summer kids' movie, "Parental Guidance."  If you have not seen it, it is a movie with  fun moments and heavy themes.  In the movie, Billy Crystal's character, a grandfather, must learn to love unconditionally, while deeply desiring to be loved, to be valued.  The adult daughter in the movie must learn similar lessons. And out of both, a new relationship is birthed. 

The point to this blog entry is not to critique the film, but to edify those willing to hear:

Engage people while there is still life in your lungs.

Today's quick pace gives place for reason ("I'm too tired." "They probably aren't home anyway.") to often override heart, but even beyond heart -- to override love. 

I get it. Believe me, I get it! As an active woman in her own right, I also have three very active maturing kids.  They keep me hopping even when my hop is lagging.  Why?  Because I deeply desire for people around me to know, without a doubt, they are valued and loved....not just by words... but by actions.  I am thankful that God reminds me of this truth often, and despite my failures to adequately love those around me, He beckons me to keep my heart extended and my determination forward focused.

We are called to walk in the Spirit -- not the flesh -- and that demands those of us in Christ make decisions daily....sometimes moment by moment.... to love without bar or measure.....to override the flesh's wants.

I don't know about you, but I know firsthand the delight it brings to me when someone makes a "love bank" deposit into my life.  I also know what it is like to go for periods of time without a deposit. As a result, I look for ways to make deposits into other people's lives.

IF we are making the deposits out of God's Agape bank, then there is no "accounting" to be done. None. Nada. Not at the end of the day.... or the end of the year... or the end of life itself.  We FREELY give.  Period.

But how often do we hear expressions similar to "I called them last time. It's their turn."  That, dear ones, is a  clear indicator that such calls are "deposited" out of the selfish Eros bank.  That bank ONLY exists to do the "accounting" at the end of day...at the end of the year... at the end of life itself.   At all times, it demands to know the balance on the ledger: the proverbial "bottom line."

I get how difficult an Agape walk is. For those who determine to walk such a walk, it is not uncommon to find one holding the short end of the stick. When that moment hits, the flesh does not just state the obvious.... it screams it! But it is at those very moments, you and I have a choice to make.  The choice will either give strength to the flesh or give strength to the spirit. But understand, it will go down on one side or the other....there is no middle ground. In that suspended moment of decision,  between the flesh and spirit... one will grow... one will weaken.

People are worth loving....not on our terms, or because they say things we agree with, or because they dress a certain way, or because they rub shoulders with certain people....etc.

If you "love" based on those markers or similar ones, you are loving with fleshly, selfish Eros love.... and that kind of love only renders damage, pain, and ultimately death. 

No, people are worth loving because of one reason (and to no merit of human kind's own): Because God said so.
To the point of offering up His only Son unto death.

To love in such a measure is a high bar.  To be honest, it's gruesome and painful.   To picture it adequately, I believe one has to visualize taking a butcher knife and willingly stabbing one's self in the torso every time we stand against the flesh as it seeks to selfishly love, or hold account, or withhold love.  But I am convinced that only by willingly slaying self will we ever know what it is to truly live.

I edify you to pick up the phone "just because."   Let those you say you care about know while you still have breath. Put forth the effort, especially if time is something you do NOT have to spend.   

How sad it is that countless people no longer can say they KNOW at least one person (and sadly that includes their own children, grandchildren, and mate), as in knowing what makes them tick.... what brings them laughter... what causes them grief.... etc.

To love is to know.  As one popular book title from years ago reminds us, "Love Is A Decision."   A decision to counter and kill the flesh, while taking "full on" the Agape walk.  It is a gift unlike any other.  Accounting not allowed.  

Agape someone today!   Be a depositor of the eternal!

Deborah


No comments:

Post a Comment