Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Roots

During this summer, I took my children to visit my parents.  It was not an ordinary visit.

At the beginning of 2013, I had expressed an interest to my father....a history interest...with a request that he take me and my children on a "ride down memory lane" at some point during the summer.

With my mother and my father being from the same city  - the same city they still call home, their city is packed full of my family's history.  

As I told my dad, "This is as much for me as it is for my children!"  It was time well spent.  Invaluable, really.

We were not able to complete the tour, so we'll be returning soon for "part two,"  but here are a few snaps of our "memory lane":

The home my father was first brought
to from the hospital as an infant.
My mother's family's home when
 my father began courting her.
The church my parents were married
 at nearly five decades ago.

My parents' first home as a married couple.

I took nearly fifty pictures during "part one," from birthplaces, to schools, to first places of employment, and on.

I am blessed to have pursued my father to do this for me and for my children, and I am profoundly thankful he was more than willing to oblige us! As we drove from one destination to the other, visually seeing the places as they told us the stories from their past was very meaningful to me and to my children! 

A Godly heritage is a priceless heritage. But if your family's heritage is not a Godly one, know that YOU can, through the power of the Holy Spirit, turn that around!  What was does not have to be what is nor what will be!  That's the Good News of the Gospel!

Sow with God, dear ones.... the coming generations will thank you!

Godspeed!
Deborah






1 comment: