Monday, February 15, 2016

Might come as a surprise....

.... I am NOT a Valentine's Day fan. 

Here's the rub for me: if a person is not going to nurture their special someone the other 364 days of the year, one day is not going to work a miracle.  Quite the opposite actually.

Yesterday (Valentine's Day), I was out with my two younger teens.  THEY  made the observation of a rather large number of men (actually not a single woman was observed) running here and there in a local grocery store, surveying the variety of stuffed animals, chocolates, and flowers for sale.

As my youngest son (and daughter) observed the scene, I turned to him and said, "Tell me what happens when one puts a month's worth of fertilizer on a plant in a single day."  He answered, "It dies."  Exactly.  I went on to further instruct him, "Learn from this. If you ever find someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with, feed her DAILY."

Jefferson Bethke stated it well yesterday, "On Valentine's Day, be kind, sweet, and thoughtful. But that doesn't negate the fact you should be doing that on the other 364 days too. In fact I heard of an older husband who would leave his wife sweet notes, give gifts, or take her out on dates and say 'happy nothing day.' I loved that. He wasn't doing it because of some weird cultural tradition, but doing it simply because he wanted to love."

Now, "Happy Nothing Day"..... I can get behind that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment