Saturday, September 23, 2017

Respite

It's now 4:45 AM.... Saturday morning.  (No name calling, you hear!)

I have the house to myself, and I get giddy at the thought of what this weekend will bring to mind, body, soul, and spirit!

No reason to waste time.

In this early hour, I meditate on just how profoundly quiet my corner of the world is at the moment. I stepped outside just minutes ago. In the distance, I could hear lawn sprinklers...an oddly comforting rhythm of sound; but beyond that, nothing.  All was still.

Stillness.  It is both an art and a blessing.  

Just three years ago, I recall reading "The Sacred Year," by Michael Yankoski.  

I enjoyed it so much that I shared it with my kids, reading it aloud to them. I found Michael's year long journey compelling; though odd at times - such as slowing down I believe it was an hour to eat an apple; a practice he encouraged his readers to try.

I didn't go the apple-eating route, but after reading his book, I did habitually begin taking segments of my day and slowing them way down, such as rising earlier than my norm to eat my breakfast slowly and then taking time in the evening to sit in quiet, evaluate my day, and offer the "day's package" up to the Lord.  These practices I continue to do most every day. I do find my life far richer from these practices of intentionality and evaluation. 

Without question, whether we approve or not, life comes at us with an intense pace. Even for those of us who tend to thrive on intensity, society's pace can be wearing, if not put into check from time to time. 

The other day I was having a conversation with a precious individual and the word "parameters" came up several times.  During this conversation, as I was strongly recommending the concept become a part of their life, internally it occurred to me that I function at a relative high rate of capacity because I learned the practice of parameters some time back.  

Parameters of priorities.
Parameters of reality.
Parameters of time.
Parameters of ethics.
Parameters of choice and subsequent consequence.
etc., etc., etc.

Do you ever just take the time to ponder the parameters in your life? 

I encourage you to do so.  Re-evaluate - or perhaps evaluate for the first time ever - the presence of parameters of your life.  Are they even present?

A take away from Michael's book was the intentional slowing down to methodically inspect the parameters in one's life such that a state of order was given place... even in a high capacity lifestyle such as his.

Spin down so that one can spin up, so to speak.

In keeping with the heart of evaluation, this weekend will be such a time for me.  All is quiet and will remain quiet for my entire weekend. It's a gift not to be wasted....not to be slept away.

(Hello! Nothing wrong with rest, but the Word does have something to say regarding habitual bed-wallowing. Curious?  Well, you may want to peruse  Proverbs 6:9-11 and Proverbs 20:13, but a word of warning: once you read them, you very well may feel a frequent gut check ... especially when reaching to hit the snooze "just one more time".  The Word is living, sharp, and meant to transform... so don't get miffed.... resolve to receive It's life-giving truths.... and be transformed by It! ♡ )

Yes, indeed.... even now, before the sun rises..... I exhale, I inhale.....I savor.... I spin down so that I may spin up and run on "with patience the race that is set before" me....  

This weekend may you too find moments to savor, to evaluate, to spin down so that you can spin up and run on with joy, perseverance, and purpose the race set before YOU!

♡ Godspeed ♡



No comments:

Post a Comment