Sunday, October 15, 2017

Careful: Marginalize NOT The Word

Thirty-three years ago this coming Christmas my parents gifted the most cherished tangible Gift ever given to me.

The Gift: A beautiful leather bound adult study Bible.

Little did I know at the time how that Gift would continuously challenge and change my life.

Few days have passed without a dedicated visit with the Gift.

It's beautifully worn now with many markings, bearing the evidence of Its place in my life and in my heart.

(Permit me to follow a particular trail for the sake of the tech-loving-believers out there.  I challenge you to open a Bible... not a Bible app. For you cannot make notes from your studies on an app.  You cannot leave an app to future generations.  You cannot bury your face in an app at a moment of rapturous joy or humble contrition.You cannot place an app upon your head or hug it to your chest as you can an open Bible when the Holy Spirit moves over your time in the Word, and you know afresh the truth that you are washed clean by the blood of the Lamb.  Nothing takes the place of opening a Bible upon one's lap in the early morning hours as He joins you upon Its pages.  Nothing.  So again, I challenge you.... make the investment.... purchase a Bible....open it.... as weird as it perhaps may sound... stick your nose in it.... inhale as you would at the smell of fine cooking.... and then dive into the Meal that It is!)

Since Its bestowment, I have read through It many times.
It is life giving, life sustaining to me.

I think upon Proverbs 3....  "...do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace..." ... Psalm 33...."...For the Word of the Lord is right and true; He is faithful in all He does..."  ... Psalm 119...."...The unfolding of Your Words gives light...."

Many years ago I copied Psalm 119, thus being able to take the passage with me wherever I went....and as such, I began making it a regular practice to read it many, many times since, often times reading it out-loud.... letting the Words fall fresh upon my ears.



YEARS now past, there is no denying the untold treasures The Gift's passages have planted in my being.

It's grievous to me that SO many.....believers and non-believers alike.... in our culture today marginalize The Gift. Countless thousands, who possess the ability to purchase, don't possess The Gift.  They neither see the need  nor do they have a desire. For those that do have The Gift right at their fingertips, again... thousands simply do not take the time to open it and read it regularly... much less study it.

I cannot imagine my life a part from It.  I wholly cannot.

Recently, with GREAT JOY, I bestowed to my three children The Gift, bearing their names upon each cover, just as mine was presented to me all those years ago.  Its sacredness was tangible in the now as it was then.  It is truly and wholly timeless; living, penetrating, transforming to those who heed It.

God says His beloveds' names are recorded in the Book of Life.  With my children having made their own profession of faith in Christ Jesus some time ago, but now having stepped across the threshold into adulthood, I sensed a rather large smile upon Christ's heart at the symbolize of having their names inscribed upon The Gift.  The Gift declares that His mark is upon His beloveds (2 Corinthians 1:21-22).... and I confess I receive a spiritual-hug, if you will, every time I pick up my Gift and see my name upon Him, so to speak.

"My Beloved is mine, and I am His." Song of Solomon 2:!6

I have no doubt that in thirty-three years they will gaze upon their well-worn Gift with a smile, reflecting on just how It challenged and changed them throughout their years.

I can think of no other tangible gift I would rather give them. Its sacredness - beyond comprehension.



I pray, oh how I pray, each of you reading this simple blog post will look upon The Gift in a new light!

Charles Spurgeon wrote, "A Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't."

Children of mine, may your Bibles be found falling apart!

With all my love,
Mom






No comments:

Post a Comment