Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day and Dear Daughter's 13th Birthday!

So today is not only Mother's Day in the "Kirby" household, but also my daughter's 13th birthday! To share the day with her is just so apropos.

I have been at the business of mothering for nearly sixteen years if you include the pregnancy of my eldest, which I absolutely do!

Once upon a time, I worked a corporate job, but nothing compares to pouring my whole self into three eternal souls every day I am gifted with them. Nothing.

Today, I am beyond thankful for the souls God placed in our family! I just stand amazed at the people my children are. Just yesterday, my children had gone to a neighbor's house with the intent to play, but upon seeing the homeowner trimming bushes, they immediately pitched in to help. My eldest quickly returned to the house in the early afternoon to get pruners, rakes, and such to aid in the neighbor's yard work. They spent the afternoon helping the homeowner trim shrubs and such, getting the yard just so for springtime. Once completed, they called for permission to return after supper, saying the homeowner wanted to invite them back for an ice cream party as a "thank you." When my husband and I walked up later in the evening to walk our children home, the homeowner remarked at what an awesome help they were, and how pleasant and "mannerly" they are to have around. I told him, "Let me know if they ever over-stay their welcome." His reply? "No, no, they are always welcome here!" (I'll still be on guard against lingering visits! ;o) )

I tell you there are few words that make a mama's heart sing more than to have other people in wanting of her children's company!

Today, as I celebrate the love of an incredible husband, the love of three amazing children, and the love of my Creator, I pray I always have eyes to see the blessings God wraps around me.

I pray you, too, are gifted with eyes to see the blessings in your life. If you don't have a good relationship with your natural parents, or if they are no longer here with you, I encourage you to take steps towards the best Parent who ever has been or ever will be! He created both male and female; He is more than able to fill your heart to overflowing. Recently I read the following from C.S. Lewis:

"The mould in which a key is made would be a strange thing, if you had never seen a key: and the key itself a strange thing if you had never seen a lock. Your soul has a curious shape because it is a hollow made to fit a particular swelling in the infinite contours of the divine substance..."

We are a creation created with a God-shaped hollow only He can fill. To know God is not to know Him intellectually. It is to let Him penetrate and fill the deepest places in your hollow. Won't you let Him fill it today? He is in wanting of your fellowship..... and whether you are currently aware of it or not.... you were created to be in wanting of His!

Substitutes of any kind will not satisfy.

Celebrating today with a heart bursting of thanksgiving!
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment