Thursday, May 26, 2011

Read lately?

Point of trivia: Thomas Jefferson sold his personal collection (+/-6,500 books!) to the government in 1815. This transaction really gave a huge boost to the Library of Congress, which began in 1800 during President Adam's tenure, but was fairly destroyed in 1814 when the British set fire to the Capitol building.

I am pretty sure I won't own nearly 6,500 books in my lifetime, but I most likely will have read that many. (Wonder if I should start counting now? That number might be kind of interesting toward the end of my life, don't you think? Well, maybe only to myself... but still.)

Have you picked up a book lately?

Some of my fondest childhood memories are my visits with my great-grandparents. My great-grandfather loved books. He always had stacks of books by his chair that he was actively reading through. Great-grandfather never told me to read, but I always saw his stack of books. Perhaps those stacks of books seen on a regular basis drove a reading root down into my being.

My mother was also faithful through my childhood years to take me to the library. I would surmise that I read "Caddie Woodlawn" at least a half a dozen times in one summer. That book was my favorite childhood book of all time. A few years ago I checked it back out at the library to reread it yet again. Yep, still love it!

Last night I made my way to the library alone. I checked out six books, and started reading two of them last night. They are what I call "pleasure books." Then there are my study books. These are by far where I can stay consumed for hours and hours on end. The other morning when I had to sit at the tire shop I took my book satchel and studied. (No use wasting precious time!) Currently I am in deep study of Galatians, having just completed a study of I Corinthians. Slowly God is leading me through Paul's writings, and I am loving every minute.

Some people say, "Well, I don't read much" or "I don't really enjoy reading." My youngest child once said this too. But after I took the lead (after all, I am the parent!) and required it of him to both listen to me read as well as having him read to me, he now asks, "So are we goin' to read now?!" What used to be an irritant or dislike has been transformed into a pleasure and a sincere like.

Habits. You do know you can form new advantageous habits at any age, don't you? If you have never cared for reading, you just can't imagine what you are forfeiting. God approves of reading, after all solid evidence is witnessed in that He had His words written down. ;o) That should be hint enough. I want to encourage you to read this summer. Take the time. It is a precious and wise thing to slow oneself down and read! The treasures are just waiting to be revealed between the covers of a book. You do like treasures, don't you?

One last word: choose your books wisely. Focus on what is profitable -- what is Godly. There are a lot of "hip and happening books" publishers would just love to shove under your nose, but be wise and discerning through His Spirit within you about what you feed your mind, soul, and spirit!

Last night at the library, I headed straight for the Christian literature. When I got there, I perused the titles. The books I came home with had to come home with me. I don't know how else to describe it. I didn't even bother to read the back covers of the books... I just knew. Sure enough -- the first book I dug into when I arrived home had to do with Nehemiah. I would have never known this by the title, but I had just finished a study on Nehemiah in April and God knew. That's all that really ever counts... listening to God 'cause He knows. It just thrills me to the bone to follow Him, right down to my reading material! There is an ease when we learn His voice by following Him day by day. He'll not pick something out for you to read that is not for your benefit! So if you take me up on my suggestion to do some reading this summer, make sure you are listening to God's direction when perusing the choices out there..... and then enjoy every page! As the saying goes, "Hold a book in your hand and you're a pilgrim at the gate of a new city." Choose your "city of exploration" carefully!

Defining and performing new beneficial habits is always such a blessing because the benefits far exceed the immediate moment of sowing!

Have a delightful read! I know I will!
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment