Friday, January 13, 2012

A Full Heart

It's Friday morning. The wind is howling outside, yet the sunlight is radiant. I'm sitting in the warmth of my home on the coziest red couch I could imagine. To one side of me is a hot cup of coffee, the kind where the steam waifs up through the air and penetrates the soul. To the other side of me is the most profound Anchor ever written, a grounding of utmost import. I am encapsulated by the most intoxicating Peace.... and my heart is full... abundantly and profoundly full.

My life joyously runs at a fast clip most days, but I would not be happier any other way! I am the mother to two teens and one pre-teen. They are blessed to be schooled at home; or perhaps I should say I am the one blessed, for the memories I have over the years are priceless treasures, stored deep in my heart. I am a prolific student of the Word, as well as a prolific writer. I am one of those strange people who can happily bypass eating, using the time for greater passions and purpose. I never imagined my forties to be as they are. Alive is the word that comes to mind. I feel fully awake .... all encumbrances and confinements of the mind and being have been broken off.... every fiber of my being echos God's word to me: "You are mine! You are fully and wholly liberated to do all that I have created you to do; fully and wholly liberated to enjoy all the pleasures of life, love, marriage, and family; fully and wholly liberated to passionately love and passionately weep. You are liberated, my daughter, into the wholeness of life!"

Life; I love every moment of it. I love the gift of being able to feel life. Have you ever pondered the "feeling of life?" It's amazing. The gains. The losses. The ebb. The flow. It all has a feel, a rhythm to it. A time for work... a time for play. A time to put forth fruit.... a time for pruning. A time for doing... a time for waiting. A time for joy... a time for sorrow. (And for my closest girlfriends, this one is for you: A time for coffee... a time for cayenne.)

But you know, my perspective on life hasn't always been as it is has been in say the past ten years or so. I'll not revisit my past perspectives in this writing except to say they were dark at times. I have said it before, but it bears repeating: What was is not what is nor what will be! Meditate on that statement in light of God Almighty, the Great I AM!

This morning, as I awoke in my husband's arms, I was struck with an image. If one stands with their back against the sun, there is a visible shadow one cannot ignore. But if you turn and face the sun, the shadow - though still there - is no longer truly visible as the focal point because it lies behind you. Putting this into a spiritual paradigm, if you stand intentionally (willfully) or ignorantly (casually without deliberation) with your back (a picture of the human will) against (or in opposition to) the Son, your past (the shadow), with all its sins and failures, will consume your scope of vision. BUT, if you resolutely turn towards the Son (wholly and utterly submit your will to His will), your past (the shadow) is behind you, and the only thing filling that scope of vision is the path of life between you and Him, full of possibilities and free of past shadows!

I encourage you to turn your back on the shadow of the past. Let it NOT have dominion and power over you in the form of shadow-casting on your day at hand! Instead, turn and face Jesus.... as the hymn of old says, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus (and KEEP THEM THERE!), look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace." (The words "and KEEP THEM THERE" were added by yours truly. ;o) )

Eventually the negative fruit from the negative seeds you have sown in your past will come to an end.... just make sure you don't keep sowing the negative seeds, expecting positive fruit in your future. That's a clear example of foolishness!

Perhaps this song will be of significance to those of you struggling to let go of the past...




"Let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the Lord!
Seek the Lord and His strength;
yearn for and seek His face
and to be in His presence continually!"
I Chronicles 16: 10-11

Yes, Lord, I am deeply thankful my habitation is with you, and Yours with me. Life is a grand treasure... GRAND! And this morning, as a part of life, has been a fine morning.... a fine morning indeed.... Thank You!

Much love to YOU today!
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment