Saturday, October 6, 2012

True Friendship

Fair weather friends, it would seem these days, are a dime a dozen.  Too often I have sat with a lone individual who has been abandoned by both family and friend. It seems there is an epidemic of "fair weather" disease in our culture today. 

Has the well-know fact that it requires BOTH rain and sun to yield a harvest been forgotten?  I think it has.  Actually, I have enough evidence to prove that it has.

Recently I came across this online poster:

Does this cause you to flinch?  Do you think it harsh?

Question: Do you recall The Little Hen Story?

Many people want to partake in another's harvest, yet one must ask, "Where were they when the fields needed plowing? Where were they when the seeds needed planting?  Where were they when the weeds needed plucking?  Where were they in time of drought and in time of flood?"

Yet when the harvest has been brought in from the field, far more "friends" appear than were present through the long days in the field.

Have you found this to be true in your own life?  I have.  Many have.  Ergo my observation; we have an epidemic on our hands.

The Bible says, "Many a man proclaims his own steadfast love, but a faithful man who can find?" Proverbs 20:6.

Many proclaim their Christian love towards one another, but very few walk it out in BOTH  sun and rain. 

I trust this has hit you between the eyes because frankly I grow increasingly more disgusted at the "fair weather" disease.  May we all remember God's Word, that people need faithfulness far more than they need to hear a hollow, "I love ya."   

I would be amiss in ending this pointed blog post without sending out a heartfelt "Thank You" to those in my life who have stayed strong and true through both the rainstorms and the sunshine days of my life.  YOU get God's true character.  "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13    

Real friendship.... God's idea of friendship ...  isn't about our comfort or our growth.  It's about personal faithfulness and sacrifice regardless the "weather"... regardless the convenience.... regardless the risk to our reputation..... regardless

Think about it, and  then do your part to end the disease!




3 comments:

  1. You know, I wonder how much of that Little Red Hen Syndrome is intentional. It seems to me that the business of our lives really contributes to that. I only have a very few people that I can give the kind of attention that a true friend deserves, and sometimes the people who get it are more the people who are in my face rather than the ones I have the deepest affection for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things I observe, Jonathan.

    1) There are many people today who don't want to be bothered with other people's 'drama' (aka: trials, hurt, pain). Honestly if I see one more comment anywhere about distancing "drama" from their lives, I think I shall scream the scream that is heard around the world. People who have this mentality suffer from selfishness at the core. "Make my life better or more at peace -- and I'll be right there with you (to milk off of you often). Have turmoil or problems, and I'll cut you off because I just can't handle that." Yet these same people claim to be Christians who have Christ (The Christ without limitations) within? Go figure.

    2) A number of people get duped into being a permanent "God-crutch" in other people's lives. Instead of pointing people to God who can deliver and heal, they become a perpetual crutch and are thus left feeling drained. Jesus never tried to increase His appeal to others. He didn't placate to them. He laid out the path to liberation, to wholeness... and when people "ya but"-ted Him, He moved on. We tend to "hand hold" the "ya but-ters" too much.... and that cheapens God. I'm not saying we should be so quick to cast people off. Not at all!! But there does come a point where every relationship needs to be evaluated for growth. If I see someone growing -- even a millimeter at a time -- I stick by them. But I can't be a party to fostering dependence on anyone but God. A wonderful example of Jesus drawing a line is found in John 6. Jesus fed the crowd -- then departed -- in the morning, they looked for him (for more bread) -- but when they found Him, He said, "I am the bread of life." In other words -- "I'm not giving you bread -- I'm offering you Me." And the story ends saying, "From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed Him." Jesus too had to contend with the fair-weather disease. People who "friended" Him during the good times for what they could get, but when He refuses to give them anything but Himself, they hit the road and didn't look back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And BTW, Jonathan, I do believe you cut yourself short. I have never known you to not co-labor in both sun and rain...making the time, especially when not convenient to do so.

    ReplyDelete