Friday, November 16, 2012

Refreshing Benefits

Have you ever taken the time to lie in the floor as worship music washes over your soul? 

For me, refreshing benefits come when I lie out on the floor,  my eyes closed, my spirit quiet.

I used to resort to this activity when I was "tapped out," seeking a touch from God to refill my energy and peace.

But the revelation came to me one day, "Why wait till you're tapped out?"

My husband used to joke with me about the gas tank in my car. Up until a few months ago (actually I can tell you exactly when -- August, when school began), it was not entirely uncommon for me to run around habitually with the gas light on.

I just didn't like to be bothered with having to stop (dare I say, waste my time) at the gas station. Underneath the initial layer of annoyance at the "bother" or waste of time was the equal annoyance of the cost. It irritated me how much a tank of gas cost, so I would find myself, when I took the time to stop, only putting a little in the tank.

I had this skewed perception that my method was "adequate" (after all, I just needed a little gas to get me here and there) and justified, saving both time (at least in the moment) and my bank account.

You know where I am heading with this, don't you?

Too many of us see just how long we can go in between "refills," don't we?

By God's grace, I never ran entirely out of gas. Spiritually speaking, by God's grace, WE never run entirely out of gas either. Oh, I can hear a few of you saying, "I don't know about that!" But the fact that you are reading this indicates you are still breathing.... and so, by God's grace, still living... maybe an inch at a time, if you have allowed yourself to get down to fumes, but I'm confident you are still with us - so your breath proves my assertion!

I'm not sure why we are compelled to self-torment ourselves, trying to see how far we can go before we refill in His presence.

In our rushed lives, do we see it as a waste of time -- somewhat of a "nuisance need" -- much like I viewed taking my precious time to have to stop at the gas station? Are we filled with trepidation at what it's going to cost us?

For many, they rush in to His presence for a "few dollars worth," just enough to get the light off, before they rush off to whatever clamors loudest for their time and attention.

I learned long ago that regardless if I have "need" to lie in the floor or not ... I lie in the floor. I don't get up until the Indicator signals "F"....FULL! The benefits of staying on "F" are life changing. Instead of my old mindset from years (thankfully) long gone of "just get me through my day," I go through my days now with a mindset of "With our full tank, where can we go, God?!"

So, how about your habit? Do you see just how far you can go before taking the time to lie in the floor and fill up? Or is your habit one of rush in, get a few dollars worth, and rush out?

If it be any other habit besides the one of keeping your tank on FULL, I encourage you to take decisive steps in His presence to break the old habit and embrace the "full tank only" habit! It will change your life! 

Deborah 

PS: Perhaps you'll be interested to know that my spiritual habit has overflowed to become a joyful habit with regard to my car. The gas indicator in my car stays on or near the "F" these days! And instead of rushing and begrudging the gas station, I have learned to be thankful there too, as it serves to be a wonderful reminder of what He does for me every day

 

1 comment:

  1. One reader sent this comment via email because they were having difficulty with the comment window:

    "Love the analogy! I am a 'stay on empty as long as I can' gas person ....but I do fill up completely when I do stop! There is an uneasiness about driving around with an empty tank of gas. It produces some anxiety as I am just not sure 'how much farther' I can go before I do end up on the side of the road. It causes me stress...yet....I do it every week! Drive until it's below the E. Only stop when forced to. I need to remember this in my spiritual life.....not to get on empty. It's so easy to do with all the distractions around us grabbing for our time. There is also an uneasiness when our spiritual 'tank' gets empty. We start feeling anxious about things we should not. We start trying to figure out 'on our own' how to make it a little further before we give out completely.

    When I have a full tank of gas,I feel a certain power I didn't just moments before when it was on fumes. I am energized in a strange way knowing my gas tank is full and I don't have to worry about getting stranded for at least another week. I think we feel that same 'power' when we have our spiritual tank filled. And it can happen in just a matter of minutes! One minute we feel 'low' and after time on the floor or however we do it.....we feel that power from the Holy Spirit to get up and move forward.

    Humm...better go check both my tanks....don't want to end up empty today with either one! :)"

    ReplyDelete