Saturday, January 9, 2016

(Blind) Walk of Faith


This afternoon I was out running about with my youngest son.  At one given point, I spontaneously put my arm through his arm, closed my eyes, and walked "blind."  Almost immediately, my memory raced back decades ago. I have no idea how old I was when I first did the same exact thing with my father. I couldn't have been that young because I have the clear memory of being able to slip my arm in his, so we had to be close to equal height.

My youngest stands at just over six feet tall, and though I cannot in full explain it, I feel profoundly protected when with him.  I used to joke with him when he was younger that when he grew up he would be my bodyguard. This was namely because when he was not yet ten, when he and I would be out and about and men would gaze at me, he would intercept their gaze and stare them down.  Even now, such memories make my heart smile. He knew from an early age women were treasures to be protected, and he continues to this day to stake the ground where his mama walks.

Reflecting on my memory with my father, I recall the deepest sense of rest and peace as I strolled along with my eyes closed, arm linked in my father's arm.  Truly, it was as I imagine a walk in the clouds to feel like.... not a care in the world... not a thought in the world.... only security.... peace... child-like joy.

There I was... completely unplanned.... experiencing that same sense with my son. I shared my thoughts with him, "Wow, this takes me back to the time I did the same thing with my dad!"   I even had my youngest slip his arm in mine and give it a try, closing his eyes and walking "carefree."

I am blessed in that my earthly father was and remains an incredible "pointer" to God as my Father.  In as much as I slipped my earthly arm into my father's decades ago, I frequently have been put in situations where God whispers, "Put your arm in Mine, close your eyes, daughter.... I have you."   There is no value one can put upon those words.... and still greater, no value one can put on the knowing He has me.

My life is in full transition.  The end of a season has come, a new season enters, and there He is....making His presence unmistakably known.  As I slipped my arm into my son's arm, I heard His steadfast voice, "Close your eyes, daughter.... I have you."   And in that moment, there it came..... the wrap of His blanket.... of security, of peace, and child-like joy.... the kind that is found only in His arms....  just exactly what I imagine a walk in the clouds would be like... but  this....oh, this is real... so very, very real.

"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms....."  Deut 33:27

Nothing else will ever come close to His arms.
   Love you, Abba, more than words could ever convey.....


No comments:

Post a Comment