Monday, September 4, 2017

Reflections on Homeschooling

17 years.

6,220 days COMPLETED.

345 days to go.

I can do this.

About this time for the past seventeen years, I have given myself a pep-talk.

"You got this.  Just another year.  No big deal."

But, seventeen years later...... it's A BIG DEAL.

This year is the other bookend to an epic journey "17 books" in the making.

First bookend is etched with the date 8/2000.

The last bookend will be etched with the date 5/2018.

Two kiddos graduated from high school... now in COLLEGE.
(Two of my favorite photos of them from this year.)



One kiddo left -- a sophomore in high school.
(My strong, tall, handsome sidekick this year.)



This is his last year with me before dual-enrolling in community college as a junior in high school.

Lord, how I love them!  I truly believe a mama's heart miraculously enlarges with each passing year so as to contain all the love that comes with each day shared!

To be honest, if not for the MANY photo albums, the years would be somewhat of a mental blur. But the oddest thing is that in addition to those numerous photo albums, I have countless mental pictures of days gone by, starting with the precious ones of being sandwiched on the couch between my two eldest little ones as I taught them to read.

I NEVER thought I would teach them all the way through to high school graduation.

N. E. V. E. R.

When I had my first child, I thought I would teach him through perhaps 3rd grade, but like so many of my early plans, that one was tossed long before 3rd grade came to be.

I loved teaching them; I truly did....but as the years ticked off and the seasons shifted, I fought the mental battle, "This is too much."   And with each passing year... that mental battle grew.

It's a lot to weigh and carry when three people's entire preparation for the future rests on one pair of shoulders.

By God's grace and sole direction, I now have ONE remaining year.  That's it.

How odd it is to realize this season will never come back around. Never.

It is surreal; for God alone understands I have given it my absolute best and my absolute all.

I am grateful to God....oh, so profoundly grateful.... that the product would seem to be three intelligent, God-fearing, independent, self-assured young adults.... readying themselves by the day to navigate their futures with boldness and confidence. His relentless faithfulness to keep me going when I just didn't have it to give remains ever before me... and just as my heart has swollen almost to the brink of bursting with love for my three kiddos... so too does it stand ready to burst with gratitude to Him. We did it, Papa; we did it! Thank You; oh, how I thank You! ♡

Here's to the last year..... I got this...really... I do....


To all my fellow parents out there...regardless if you homeschool or don't.... look yourself in the mirror at this -- the start of a brand new school year -- and give yourself two thumbs up.... YOU'VE GOT THIS.... YOU TRULY DO!
Parent on....prayerfully, WITH GOD!

Godspeed!  ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment