Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Walkabout Wonder

Before sharing, I want to preface what I share by a timely quote from Joyce Meyer:

"Don't compare yourself with anyone in any way, especially not spiritually.  We can see other people's good examples and be encouraged by them, but they must never become our standard."

That said, take what you will read below as a mere example, but at the end of the day....

DO YOU as God instructs!

******************************

I have been going on walkabouts with God for years. A walkabout is where I set off with no clear destination and no time frame.... just my listening ears wide open and my mouth shut. I believe He has chosen to stick with this method with me to share some of His richest treasures because in 2000 I was so hungry for something far exceeding religion I made a promise to Him that I kept.

Looking back I know that promise originated with Him. I went on a walk one morning and poured out my starving and thirsty heart to the invisible God I knew from the Bible and all my many years attending church. I boldly told Him, "I am going to show up each and every day, same time, and walk until I HEAR You. I want to know Your voice." So I did.  Days passed, until one day as I was about to enter my apartment, as my hand touched the door knob, I heard Him crystal clear speak to me as I had never heard Him speak. And since that day, I am PROFOUNDLY grateful He hasn't stopped communicating.... and I haven't stopped listening.

So, yesterday, April 30th  (Tuesdays are my day off from work.), I awoke and immediately felt His call.  I had my list of "must dos", but have learned ....oh, I have learned.... the wisdom of  Matthew 6:33: "Seek FIRST the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."  When I forsake my "must do" list at His call, I know I can emphatically trust Him with that "must do" list.  Can I tell you I have never once regretted answering His beckoning!

I arose out of the bed, knowing my plans for the day had been replaced.  I put my walking clothes on, prepared my backpack, went downstairs for our prelude (ie: Quiet time), and set out through the front door.

I'm going to relay my exact conversation with God as I began my walkabout.  I do believe some of it or all of it will speak to you wherever you are along your life's journey with Him.

As I walked out my front door, I suggested (We love to make our suggestions to Him, don't we?!), "How about a casual walk, a bit of lunch, and a walk back?"

This would have amounted to about four miles; all the while my feet are in motion, heading out of the neighborhood.

He said, "The airport."
"Excuse me?!"
Again, "The airport."
"That's a LONG walk, Lord, even for me!"
Gently He said, "I know."

My feet in still in motion even as my comprehension all but flat-lined.

"Hum, you know there's that really long incline that I'll have to walk back up?"

"You mean the one WE will walk back up? Yes, I know the one."

"Then there's that really sketchy part down by the asphalt plant.  There aren't any sidewalks along that way, but big trucks, lots of big trucks. That's just not rational nor safe!"

"Like walking on water?"

"Well, what about that highway crossing? You know how crazy that is even for a car!"

"I WILL make safe passage for you."

Silence set in, but my feet stayed in motion.  After a few moments, confidence had risen.

"Okay, Lord, the airport it is!"

He did EXACTLY as He said He would, and with each step there was a lesson, a rejoicing, a laugh to share.

Curious observations:  As I arrived at the entrance to the airport, I declared to myself, "I made it!" But then it occurred to me, no, I need to make my way all the way in... all the way to the destination He set.  And a mile and a half later (Hello, is that speaking to anyone else besides me?!), I did arrive.

Can I tell you that last mile and a half was the longest stretch of perseverance. And can I also tell you He didn't say word one to me at the beginning of my consent about the STEEP hill at the VERY end of my destination; His prerogative as LORD, you know.  (Funny what you don't pay any attention to behind the wheel of a car that speaks volumes from the vantage point of walking!)

On my many walkabouts He has indeed imparted many valuable lessons, but I want to both challenge and encourage each of you: a walk with Him is *always* beyond the scope of the rational and the safe, but if we, through even rational, *valid* reasons, render ourselves unable to walk with Him in our "now sphere", don't bother asking Him for grander walks!  Be bold in your obedience, *especially* when it takes you outside ....perhaps even WAY outside... your comfort zone, because that's where you will discover facets of Him that simply cannot be revealed nor experienced from inside your comfort zone.

On my way back home, I had to tackle all the hurdles I had tackled on my way there, BUT by then it was much hotter, and I was getting tired.

Do you think He knew of these coming conditions when we set out?  Of course He did!

Remember that point of silence I mentioned before I consented?  During that point of silence, I too thought through the return trip without the exact knowledge, but certainly speculating it wasn't going to be a "walk in the park"..... but the material point is I CHOSE to go all in.  Dear ones, let me strongly encourage you when He asks something of you.... just do it.  He covers... he makes up for our lack.

And lack did happen.  I was almost at the peak of that LONG incline when I felt my entire being start to crash.  I looked ahead and told myself, "It's only about 40 paces. You can rest then."  I knew if I sat down where I wanted to sit down, I would have alarmed traffic.  "Press on," I told myself.  I barely made it. My body was crashing to the point I gagged.  I thought, "Don't you dare toss your cookies here!"   Ever been at such a place metaphorically?   Where you thought you just could not hang on one more second?  Where your soul was wrenched and convulsing to the core? Live long enough and everyone crosses such conditions.  Question is what do you do?

Well, providentially (You do know Father permits testing, correct?!), in my case... my son had just texted me (probably very close in time to the point where I begin crashing... 70 paces or so from the apex).

"Home now."

Simple text.  MASSIVE temptation!

I saw the text just after sitting down, trying not to toss my cookies.

"Can you come get me?"  I texted back.

Then God spoke, "Deborah, RISE!"

Immediately I texted my son, "No, nevermind....I'll finish."

I got up, and not 50 paces later, "God of Resurrection" began to play.  I'm posting it here for your listening pleasure:



I was so overcome by the song coupled to my Walking Company I sincerely felt I would take flight at any moment. Above all.... God is faithful!  Oh, dear ones... HE IS FAITHFUL.

I have long since said and walked, "What God calls us to do, He equips us to do!"

Such a memorable walk with Him... valuable treasured lessons I will put in my life-vault...not to be taken for granted, forgotten, or devalued!

All my love from one sojourner-in-Christ to all my fellow sojourners-in-Christ...walk on confident in HIM!

Deborah


1 comment: