Friday, October 22, 2010

Thankful heart... What a Week!

It is hard to believe this week is coming to a close, and our normal schedule returns. I journaled today, "Lord, I am feeling overwhelmed this morning." It is a good thing to look back with a thankful heart over the past week!

As you already know from a previous post, we began our time last Friday with a boat trip, had a tremendous time Saturday with life-long friends, and made our way into this week with "R&R" being the main course on the menu!

We went to the State Fair and had a wonderful time. In the morning, we saw some of the most gorgeous gardens, looked in on some rabbits (One of them was the largest rabbit I have ever seen. It was larger than our dog!), and took in a BMX/motorcross bike show. At the point where one bike sailed off a ramp, flew through the air about 25 feet up, the rider TOTALLY letting go of his bike and then grabbing the rear of the seat to pull it back under him --- I stopped watching. Mercy! At lunch we headed home for a rest and some lunch. We returned later in the afternoon. The kids had such fun on the rides... maybe a bit too much fun. My eldest son went on a number of rides that spin, go vertical, and backward all at the same time. Oh yes, he did! Even the sky-loving, plane-riding kid that he is challenged his equilibrium almost to breaking point! My dear daughter LOVED the Draft Horse Show. I have to admit the animals were just stunning; seventeen hundred pounds of beauty! Mercy, I wonder how much those animals eat in a day! And our littlest one who isn't so little anymore... well, he was just thrilled with anything that moved. The wilder it moved, the better. He has always been full of life, and the Fair really brought that out of him! It was fun to see him bound off the rides and exclaim, "That was awesome!" We stayed late, arriving home at eleven, but it was a fabulous day!

One day we took the kids to see "Toy Story 3." If you are a parent and are ever feeling weary from the season of parenting, go see the movie or rent it. It brings home the reality of the fleeting parenting season! I know it certainly recharged my batteries to make the most of the season and to cherish every moment I am given with the three precious, fabulous children that surround my life!

In between our fun out and about, we have enjoyed long meals around the table (especially the breakfast meal), pitching in together and cleaning up the garage, bike rides (husband with dear sons), casual fun shopping (mom with dear daughter), and working in a few runs to the dump .... I LOVE decluttering! It has been a fabulous week, and to be honest, I grieve its departure!

Over the weekend, we have a camp-out to attend. Well, I should say my husband and youngest son have a camp-out to attend with Scouts. I am the Grub Master to the family meal at the camp-out, so I will be getting food together for 70+ people today. Dating back seven years to when my eldest was in Cub Scouts, it is an event that brings back a lot of fun memories!

Also over the weekend, my eldest two children are going to a corn maze with their youth group. Can I just share my "mama's heart" with you for a moment? I thrill that my two older children LOVE their youth group! I thought my heart would just burst when I picked them up after their very first visit and heard them both exclaim, "Wow, Mom, that was great!" They have been going now for a bit, and they still have such a positive take on this group of young people who flow God's realness to the world.... and NOT the world into the Church! I am so thankful God has rewarded their patience.... that He led us to such a place for their sake! Just this week, they were talking together about something they learned in youth group over TWO weeks ago! How cool is that!? It will be a precious place for them in the coming years!

Well, I pray you are following God wherever He leads. Corrie Ten Boom said, "Hold loosely to the things of this life, so that if God requires them of you, it will be easy to let them go." God's nature is to give us the things we need most, but too often we are unwilling to give up what we have for what He has for us. Do we think of Him so poorly such that we mistrust His intentions, His requests, and His leadings?
Be careful what you give place to in your mind, siblings!

Follow Him, no matter where He leads. I have found such wisdom to be my finest treasure! Is it always easy? Absolutely not..... that is what makes it a treasure!
Worth the cost -- worth the flesh's perceived risk -- worth everything!

Blessings to you as you wrap up your week and snuggle yourself into the weekend!
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment