Thursday, September 12, 2013

Develop a Habit of Giving

In today's culture, there is no shortage to the "me bubbles" all around us. No doubt you know what I am talking about.

It's the person standing beside you that carries on their cell phone conversation as if no one is around.

It's the person that, while driving, pulls out in front of you even though there are no cars behind you.

It's the person that edges closer and closer to you in the grocery line as you pay for your groceries because, to them, you just are not paying fast enough.

There are literally hundreds of examples seen daily by those with eyes to see. People doing "crazy things" all because their mindset is habitually "me" or "I" focused.

"Mine" is one of the first words a toddler learns and demonstratively uses on a regular basis.  

When my eldest was a toddler and I was pregnant with my second child, I saw, with great clarity, where this "mine" behavior would go if not intercepted. As the instrument of interception,  I routinely sat with my toddler as he played and gently took whatever he was playing with as I both said and taught him the powerful concept, "Share." 

When my children were young (my oldest was around six and my youngest was in a stroller), the Lord directed me to get involved in a local bread ministry with them.  Once a week, we would trek over to our assigned grocery store and pick up all the "day old" bread and pastries.  We would then drop them off to the distribution place where it would then be taken to families in need.  It was a small task, but it made a lasting impression on my little ones.  

Today, as I observed my children, now ranging in age from almost 17 (as of next week!) to almost 12 (as of next week!) joyfully helping at a local food pantry with me, I couldn't help but smile and think back over the past seventeen years. Seventeen years of actively, deliberately intercepting the "me bubble," popping it, and driving home the vastly more satisfying precept, "Share" -  through action.

I am reminded even now (thus provoking a quick snap shot to share - grin!)  of a picture in my home that says it best:

(Click to enlarge)



To the parents of children who are still "under roof," can I just take a moment to edify you?

Find (Seek out!) opportunities to serve others as a family.  My family particularly looks for and loves the opportunities that enable anonymity, another vital precept to teach your children.... for it is better to receive the beloved, intimate smile of God than the applause of men.

Parents, let's be found DOING in our children's eyes what we say is of importance.  Find the time.   The reward will be seen in the generations to come and on into eternity!

Blessings!
Deborah







 

No comments:

Post a Comment